Re: Pineapples are ripe

Yes, you can use tops of supermarket pineapples. Both Dole and Del Monte market premium quality fruit, so either one will do. Most of mine are offsprings of Del Monte "Gold."

When you fix the pineapple, cut a slightly larger piece off the top, maybe one that's 3/4 inch thick. Let it sit on the kitchen counter for a few days. The flesh will begin to go south. In about a week, you can strip the skin and flesh from the top. What you will have is the top attached to a short piece of the core. Plant it in rich soil that drains well. I use Florida black sand, which is simply sandy soil with humus [in my case, rotted pine needles]. I mix blood meal, bone meal, and cottonseed meal in the potting mix. Plant the whole piece of core, right up to the bottom of top. Keep it moist, not wet, not dry. Give it a handful of osmocote every 4 or 5 months.

I root mine in the lathhouse--shade. I grow my plants in the shade; lots of light, but no direct sun. I would think they would fruit as a houseplant. They're just a terrestrial bromeliad, and a pretty tough one at that. In 18 to 24 months, it should start to flower. At first you'll notice a dome-shaped bump in the crown. It will look like a pincushion of gold pins. Pretty soon, it will emerge from the crown on a stem and begin to bloom--small purplish flowers. I don't know what pollinates them, but I've never had one that didn't get pollinated. At this point, they look like a pineapple. but small [baseball size] and green. They take 4 or 5 months to grow to size and ripen. Keep fertilizing them. They are ready to pick when they begin to turn yellow. Ripen them fully on the kitchen counter. Eat, enjoy, and plant the top.