Re: Tree variety

I agree. I suggest your brother talk to some local nurseries to get some ideas. Morgan Hill has a more moderate winter than here in Grass Valley but similar very hot dry summers with no rain. He / you might also look at this list of suggested street trees from the utility district in Sacramento . Most of these trees would be excellent choices in Morgan Hill.
http://usage.smud.org/shadetree/
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Tree variety

Not David, Ceres, but Liriodendron being a tree of the eastern
deciduous forest, I'd bet it couldn't deal with the California summer
dryness without extensive watering. Mine requires weekly watering in
our drought and heat or its leaves start yellowing and drop. (Of
course, I have no idea where Morgan Hill is - perhaps a more moderate
area of California?)

Cathy, west central IL, z5b