cuttings

Question for those of you in really humid climates. I've been trying to
do some Hydrangea cuttings and a few other things this summer. Seems
they were doing well until it got into July. It's been so humid that the
soil isn't "breathing." My cuttings are rotting rapidly and it's really
irritating me.

Do y'all use JUST vermiculite to do cuttings or do you use soil also?
Does the vermiculite work better? I bought a bag today at Lowe's so I
can try that. Should I wait until September when it cools off some?

I want to start some things (mostly Hydrangeas and Salvias) even though
I know it's late into the summer, but actually I usually do some in the
fall and they do fine.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC