Re: cuttings

My boxes are 18-inch squares made of PT 2-by-8s sitting on top of my potting bench in my lathhouse [shade]. They are filled with vermiculite only; they are misted for 10 minutes each at Dr Pepper times [10, 2, 4]. They are always damp, never wet. The vermiculite tends to break down after a couple of years, at which time I dump and mix it in with the potting soil and put fresh vermiculite in the cutting box.

Because it never gets cold here--no matter how much I say I'm freezing in February--the boxes are in use all year.

On Aug 6, 2005, at 1:53 PM, hodgesaa@earthlink.net wrote:

Oh, what about drain holes? What do you do about keeping them from getting
too wet?

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

[Original Message]
From: Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center
<4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 8/6/2005 12:39:19 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] cuttings

I didn't respond right away Andrea, because I have mixed results with my
cuttings. I'm now using the clear enclosed box method that I think Cathy
brought up some time back. I use a 1:1 mix of perlite and vermiculite in
mine. I just checked this morning and some of my hardy woody cuttings
have
taken hold. Previously I had only done tender plants in this box and with
great results.

But as I understand it you are doing yours in the open, no top. So I
really
wouldn't be able to give any advice.

Kitty