Re: Baptisa now cut flowers

Kathy, how deep are your raised beds? I too am battling clay. Your gardens sound wonderful and everything y ou are growing I want to grow!
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
----- Original Message ----- From: <Cornergar@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Baptisa now cut flowers

Think I said my raised beds are 25 ft. In real life ( I measured) they are 50
ft. Most annuals I direct seed. It would prob help if I started them indoors
but when I do that I get so crunched for time and energy in the spring that I
end up not getting them in the ground early enough. I would buy snaps and
salvia Victoria (or 'Blue Bedder')in 4 packs but start zinnias from seed. I would
buy the seeds in specific colors rather than mixed. Hard to beat Bachelor
Buttons and they can be seeded early. Try the dwarf sunflowers that are
pollenless.Plant what you love!
The black plastic is simply to warm up the soil in the spring and to keep
weed seed from nearby fields from drifting in the fall and winter. When the bed
is planted I just fold the plastic over the soaker hoses to protect them. But
this is not a display garden. It's for max production so I mostly plant things
together that require the same conditions rather than what looks good.(It
still looks beautiful to me!) You will be amazed at how many more flowers you get
when you keep them constantly cut at their prime. I can see the plans swirling
in your head. Go for it! Kathyz5
Donna, I am 3 hours so. of Chicago so conditions would be somewhat diff. from
yours, I think.