Re: heat and water

I got caught in one of those desert gully washers between St George, Utah, and Lost Wages one summer as I was driving a truckload of sheep from Longmont, Colorado, to Fresno. Not fun. By the time we got to LV we were driving in water over the hubcaps. VWs and other small cars had been swept into storm drains along the sides of the roads. Finally took refuge in the Circus Circus garage.

On Aug 8, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSR wrote:

I was born in Los Angeles. I remember when I was little, and on the radio
was playing that syrupy song "Little Green Apples". I was old enough to know
that the singer was saying things that weren't supposed to be true, but the
part about "it don't rain in (wherever) in the summertime" baffled me.
Because I knew even then, you see, that it DOESN'T rain in the summertime.
It rains in the winter.
And here I am, mumble years later, and when we get a summer thunderstorm all
us desert rats go out to watch, and stand in rain if we can. It's a rare
treat. Although this summer has been a little odd - we've had thunderstorms
pretty frequently over the past month. Last week we had lightning warnings
almost every day and they are supposed to continue this week. On Saturday it
did rain a little at my house.
So I went out to stand in it, of course!

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of David Franzman
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 8:28 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] heat and water

Hi folks

Just thought of an addition sparked by Pam's comment about how hot it gets
here. In northern Ca. it doesn't stay as hot as Texas that's for sure. We
have the cool ocean breezes that come in in the form of fog that keeps us in

a perpetual heat wave. But many folks in the Sacramento and San Joaquin
Valleys experience that kind of heat and then some. That's not to mention
southern Ca. in the desert regions where those are the normal type of temps.

My friend in Phoenix hasn't had a drop of rain since January where they got
so much it almost flooded them out of house and home...but none since then.

Again, we're set up for that and I think that's the difference. Mentally we

don't expect any rain and so it's not depressing when it doesn't come. I
remember when we went through a decade long drought in the 80's and it
sucked. You would see the clouds come over and break up before it dropped
anything. I know what it's like and I hate droughts so even though I'm a
smart--- I do feel your pain Pam.

David
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net

Island Jim