Freecycle, cannas. Crown rot

Mornin' Everyone!

This is my reposted message!

Well, I signed up for "Freecycle" as soon as I read about it. I hate to
throw anything out. Well, the next day a young couple with an empty backyard
loaded their van with plants from my garden. We all felt great! I might
finally be able to find a home for my piano! Thanks for the site!

If it wasn't in the high 90's for weeks on end (with NO RAIN), I probably
would be a lot happier about my summer. I can't seem to get anything done in
this heat! I'm going out today to someplace with air-conditioning, like the
library, as I just can't stand sitting in front of a fan anymore! I have so
many projects to get done and no energy to do them :<( !

Does anyone have any experience with crown rot,  <http://hort.net/+12Ru>
http://hort.net/+12Ru, on hosta? I have this nasty fungus on one of my hosta
and I'm afraid it may spread to other plants. I plan on removing the plant
(what's left of it) and digging up the surrounding soil and throwing it in
the bay. I think the salt water bath will dispose of it nicely. I'm not sure
how much soil I need to take. Any ideas?

Also, do I cut the seed pods off of my cannas to encourage more flowering?

I went to a garden symposium last week that was wonderful. After a day of
lectures, we went to the garden of one of Long Island's premier annual and
rare plant growers, Landcraft Environments. The owner is Dennis Schrader who
has coauthored the book 'Hot Plants for Cool Climates' , lectures all over
the country, etc. He and his partner, Bill Smith, have a tropical paradise
on the north fork of LI. Acres of huge tropicals that he moves into his
greenhouses in the fall. The place was to die for!

More later,

Chris Petersen

Northport, NY

Zone 7