RE: Rain, Monarchs

Auralee, we had lots of thunder and lightening, but only about 1/4 inch rain
:<( !  The cardboard boxes that were sitting outside are dry as a bone! I
have some more freecycle people coming over to look at plants. It's almost
too hot to even think about gardening! I don't know how the cats handle it.
I sleep with a cold, wet wash cloth around my neck (don't know why, but this
method seems to help).  The thought of being covered in fur is miserable!  I
even feel sorry for my pet rat!

I was really excited yesterday to see a monarch butterfly laying eggs on a
small stand of milkweed plants that is establishing itself in a spot up by
the beach.  I'm trying to keep it out of the cultivated areas, though. I
found out the hard way that milkweed has a huge, hard to get rid of, root
system!  I monarch was enjoying the nectar from the anise hyssop plants
nearby.  What a pleasure to watch!  I hope no predators get to those eggs!
I haven't been able to find monarch caterpillars in years to take into
school in the fall.  It would be great to have a place to find them right on
my property!  I've found that monarchs seem to come back to the same stands
as in previous years. I had a few places I used to find them until the areas
were cleared and developed. There are some stands that I never have found an
egg on any leaf.  Don't know why.

I have a tiger swallowtail that visits my "White Profusion' butterfly bush.
I've been taking photos of all of the critters! Managed to get soaked in
sweat doing even this!

Holli is coming to visit on Tuesday morning.  Eva, if you are free you could
join us.

Chris Petersen
Northport, NY
Zone 7