RE: Rain, Monarchs

>> I don't know how the cats handle it.

Found this: Be cautious on humid days. Humidity interferes with animals'
ability to rid themselves of excess body heat. When we overheat we
sweat, and when the sweat dries it takes excess heat with it. Our
four-legged friends only perspire around their paws, which is not enough
to cool the body. To rid themselves of excess heat, animals pant. Air
moves through the nasal passages, which picks up excess heat from the
body. As it is expelled through the mouth, the extra heat leaves along
with it. Although this is a very efficient way to control body heat, it
is severely limited in areas of high humidity or when the animal is in
close quarters.

Kitty

-- <Chris@widom-assoc.com> wrote:
Auralee, we had lots of thunder and lightening, but only about 1/4 inch rain
:<( !  The cardboard boxes that were sitting outside are dry as a bone! I
have some more freecycle people coming over to look at plants. It's almost
too hot to even think about gardening! I don't know how the cats handle it.
I sleep with a cold, wet wash cloth around my neck (don't know why, but this
method seems to help).  The thought of being covered in fur is miserable!  I
even feel sorry for my pet rat!

I was really excited yesterday to see a monarch butterfly laying eggs on a
small stand of milkweed plants that is establishing itself in a spot up by
the beach.  I'm trying to keep it out of the cultivated areas, though. I
found out the hard way that milkweed has a huge, hard to get rid of, root
system!  I monarch was enjoying the nectar from the anise hyssop plants
nearby.  What a pleasure to watch!  I hope no predators get to those eggs!
I haven't been able to find monarch caterpillars in years to take into
school in the fall.  It would be great to have a place to find them right on
my property!  I've found that monarchs seem to come back to the same stands
as in previous years. I had a few places I used to find them until the areas
were cleared and developed. There are some stands that I never have found an
egg on any leaf.  Don't know why.

I have a tiger swallowtail that visits my "White Profusion' butterfly bush.
I've been taking photos of all of the critters! Managed to get soaked in
sweat doing even this!

Holli is coming to visit on Tuesday morning.  Eva, if you are free you could
join us.

Chris Petersen
Northport, NY
Zone 7