Re: propagation boxes

kmrsy@netzero.net wrote:
Because of the angles of the house and the trees, I don't think there's
any direct sun to cause the boxes to heat up too much. Directly to the
south of the boxes, the Florida room juts out. If at any time it seems
like I could have used too much water, I just reset the lid cock-eyed
for awhile (few hours) but for the most part just leave it on.

Previous to using the boxes I would use 8 inch mum pots for 7 cuttings,
insert chopsticks, and wrap with saran. This was usually successful for
Strobilanthes. I didn't provide any deliberate ventilation, though the
saran was obviously not fool-proof.

I've seen ventilation holes for sed starting toppers but I don't recall
any instructions requiring ventillation for cuttings. Do you think it
would be better to have some small holes?
I would think that ventilation holes would be necessary/useful only
if fungal rot of one sort or another sets in. If not, and boxes work
as is, no reason to tinker with success.
Looks like they'd do well for mini cold frames come winter. Ever use
them for that ? I've been musing about that use here, especially if
sunk half way or so into the ground.
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W