Re: Starting a nursery

> In general you're locked into the way the wholesaler sells them. Walters
> likes 25s and some 20s, while other suppliers sell in 16s or 32s...or
> whatever fits the plastics they use. Bluestone gives price breaks in
> 10cent increments. One price for 6, another at 18 and another at 36.
> That's one nice thing about Sunshine. Yes, he sells in 100s, but you can
> make up that 100 any way you want - 6 of this and 30 of that.

But what I mean is, how many should I have?  If someone sells them in
groups of 6, should I only carry 6?  What's considered normal inventory
for a new mailorder nursery?

For example, I only have 4 Aronia prunifolium right now.  Is it worth
getting more?  I think it's a great landscape plant, but I obviously
don't want to end up stuck with more expensive inventory.  And only
10 Geranium 'Tiny Monster'.

I know it's a guessing game, but I'm trying to figure out the upper and
lower limits.  Is a successful plant going to sell 12?  24?  I know that
I won't sell more than 12 Dennstaedtia punctilobula or 6 Eupatorium
purpureum 'Little Joe' because they're not particularly mainstream right
now, but what about the hottest new Tricyrtis?

Or am I wrong?  Will I sell lots of those plants that I mentioned?

Chris