Re: Starting a nursery

There are too many questions to be answered first as to how many plants of a
particular variety you should order. How much do you have room for and how
much can you reasonably expect to care for? How many other varieties will you
have? How will you advertise? How large is your mailing list... Your " sphere of
influence"? Can you market this plant so that lots of people will have to have
it? Will you do public presentations or must your customer buy from a photo?
Who is your target customer and how often will you reach him/her?
My gut reaction is that 6 plants would not be enough and are too expensive
that way. It's also true that just when you are sure you know which plant is
going to be the winner that year the public proves you wrong and wants the one
you only have 6 of! I think the smallest number I ever buy is 12 of one kind but
usually it is 25 (bareroot) or 36 or 72 plugs/liners. This may not apply to
you as I suspect your customer base will be more sophisticated than mine. And
of course I don't know about mail order so actually my opinion prob doesn't
matter! Well, you got it anyway. Kathyz5