Re: Starting a... now bananas

Before it gets cold, I would dig and pot all the suckers and move them inside. Then I would let the full-sized trees get knocked down by frost--a couple of near freezing nights will probably do it. Then I would dig the roots and pot up anything with a green eye. I would not plant them out until danger of frost had past. Then I pour the water, fertilizer, and sunlight to them.

It doesn't take much root to support a sucker, so if you don't get much, don't worry about it. When I go to a tropical fruit tree sale, the banana peddlers [like Going Bananas, one of the best] have rootless suckers stacked like cordwood.