Re: soggy tropicals

Interesting. On another list, a guy said he collects 100 pounds of coffee grounds a week from a Starbuck's near his house. He uses them to acidify his soil for tropicals. He also said the residual caffeine in the grounds kills snails and slugs.

On Aug 20, 2005, at 9:04 AM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

If you are friends with an establishment that makes a lot of coffee, you
could offer to provide a small waste container and collect the coffee
grounds each day. Earthworms love it and it could make your bed progress
more quickly.
Bonnie ETN Zone7

[Original Message]
From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 8/19/2005 10:05:43 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] soggy tropicals

Wow - and I've been putting my kitchen scraps in the compost piles.
Didn't know I could put them right in the beds!

On 8/19/05, hodgesaa@earthlink.net <hodgesaa@earthlink.net> wrote:
I read a novel by a gardener once where the main character did that. She
would select a planting site months in advance and bury her kitchen
waste.
By the time she was ready to plant, ta-da! Beautiful soil.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC