River otters

Looked out the kitchen window this afternoon and could tell there
was something in the pond.  It took a bit of looking to determine
what - now that the trees are all out full there isn't an easy clear
view.  I finally had to walk outside to see that what was making
all the ripples was a pair of river otters.  We have had them here
before but not for several years now.  They used to come most
summers, but the huge development that has gone in on the
other side of the hill we assumed had cut off their passageway.
It was hard to tell how many, since they spend most of the time
under water, and when they come up, heads and backs and
tails are hard to sort out.  DH took a chair and set himself up
with the binocs to watch - he wasn't sure how many either.  The
90 degree temperature limited my enthusiasm for sitting out
to watch, but it was a treat to see them again.