To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] plumeria cuttings

May I add please, that when you take the cutting of the plumeria...let it
harden off. If you don't, it will rot for sure. You can keep a plumeria
cutting for days or weeks even, if not longer before planting.

I personally have never heard of cutting off a bloom stalk that is produced
on a cutting, David. May I ask the reasoning behind this??? I have heard
this on other plants, but never a plumeria. I have seen several cuttings
bloom, and root nicely despite having bloomed. I have had cuttings that bloomed
right away, then didn't bloom again for a couple years, but did fine.

On a personal note, Andrea, I would take the larger plumeria. Would take a
while to grow the cutting back up to a nice size, and if it rots you have
nothing. I'd take the large one, they are super easy to overwinter, if they
aren't the evergreen type...I have friends in cold winter regions that just wrap
the thing in burlap and shove it under a bed or in the basement.
If you do plan on leaving the larger plumeria, make several cuttings before
you move, that way you have it fairly well rooted or can take more if those
don't work.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/20/2005 11:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,