Re: The August garden report (loooong)

Never have had luck with sweet peppers. Peppers freeze well, and they
can be dry packed - don't even need blanching. When I do jalepenos, I
cut off the stems and pop them in the freezer bags whole, but sweet
peppers would need to be chopped. My cucumbers did not do quite as
well as some years, but I got 5 quarts of dill pickles and 4 pints of
bread and butters, plus some for salads and gazpacho before the heat
and wilt got them. Tomatos were also less than optimal this year.
Harvest was plentiful, but the Brandywine variety was prone to
cracking - so badly, that much ended up in the compost. Will try some
other variety next year. Any favorites out there? Weeds have been the
worst I remember. Particularly the grassy weeds. Some areas have
literally gotten away from me. Not to be deterred, I'm in the midst
of ordering more plants for fall.... do I need therapy???

Cathy, west central IL, z5b