Dennis, Katrina, & the Gourds

The gourds are growing up a Clerodendrum tree, jumping from the top of it, to a giant bird of paradise, and going higher--maybe 20 feet off the ground. A bougainvillea is also growing up the Clerodendrum; bougainvilleas have large, nasty spines.

Dennis beat up some the gourds; battering them against bougainvillea spines and such. In all cases, the worst seems to be scars on the gourds' hide. None of it looks fatal or festering.

Now Katrina has joined in the fun by starting the harvest. It's a tad premature, I think, but so far she has blown two large ones out the the tree tops. I've had to open my last package of panty hose--kinky gardener's true confession--to cut some rings to hang the gourds in the garage.

Man, I sure hope they dry okay. If not, I'm really going to be disappointed.

Meantime, I feel obliged to run out in this goofy weather every now and again to make sure Ms K hasn't picked some more.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10