Plant storage shelves

I finished building the first of my plant storage shelves yesterday.  They
take about an hour to build and cost between $25 and $30 each (depending if
you share a central support or not).  The shelf is 4x8' and holds twenty
standard 1020 trays with an 8" gap down the center for air, signs, etc.
Here it is before being loaded up with plants:

   http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/shelf.jpg

Then there's the after pic.  It doesn't hold all of the inventory for the
nursery, but it still holds a fair amount:

   http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/fullshelf.jpg

I like to switch back and forth between the two in my browser to get a
1960's 'Bewitched' style appearance of plants on the table.

The goal with these shelves is to keep them elevated in the summer to
encourage airflow underneath.  I have a fairly enclosed yard and plants
sometimes suffer without decent circulation.

The 40 gallon garbage cans behind are filled with soil -- one is for
'regular' plants and the other is for plants requiring more drainage.
The wheelbarrow is where I mix it.

Now I need to build a couple more shelves to hold the rest!

Chris

http://www.hort.net/sHORTurl/                        Shorten your URLs!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/      3811 online plant photos and growing!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/date/2005-08-28/       The latest additions