Re: Katrina continued

Today's paper reprinted an editorial written by Eric Holdeman of Seattle for
the Washington Post, titled: "Diminished FEMA will be National Disaster".  I
tried to locate it online, but can't find it.  An excerpt:

Re Katrina: " ...Which makes it all the more difficult to understand why, at
this moment, the country's premier agency for dealing with such events -
FEMA -  is being, in effect, systematically downgraded and all but
dismantled by the Dept of Homeland Security....

"The advent of the Bush administration in January 2001 signaled the
beginning of the end for FEMA.  The newly appointed leadership of the agency
showed little interest in its work or in the missions pursued by Witt
[Appointed by Clinton in 1993 as director, James Lee Witt fought for federal
funding for special FEMA projects which were later cancelled by Bush.]  Then
came the Sep 11 attacks and the creation of Homeland Security.  Soon FEMA
was being absorbed into the homeland security borg.

"This year it was announced that FEMA is to officially lose the disaster
preparedness function that it has had since its creation.  The move is a
death blow to an agency that was already on life support.....FEMA will be
survived by state and local emergency management offices which are confused
about where they fit into the national picture.  That's because the focus of
the national effort remains on terrorism...Those of us in the business of
dealing with emergencies find ourselves with no national leadership...we are
being forced to fend for ourselves..."

So.   I wonder how much help these people are going to get, especially when
their governors are not so well connected and there is no election taking
place in the near future in which the victims might play a pivotal role.

Kitty
neIN, Z5