Re: Gene's Article on Trilliums...

Hi Jesse,
The photos of trillium in the Fine Gardening article were all taken in my garden. I am a bit of a collector when it comes to trilliums, have been growing them for about 15 years now.. maybe a bit more. I go out about the same time each morning to photograph. Take my cup of hot tea, notebook, camera and tripod just at first light when all is calm. Take long exposures in the low soft light. All the trilliums are finished for this season now....
Some of the ground covers I use in my garden with trillium are partridge berry for the smaller trillium, European wood anemone, corydalis lutea, creeping mint (meehania) and creeping wood phlox. The phlox is one of my favorites for lots of other early perennials.
Dwarf wake-robin is one of my favorites for it bulks up so quickly with additional offsets, making a great little display in both foliage and flower.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Gene, I found my magazine last night and went straight to your article.
I was so impressed with the article and are the photos from YOUR
nursery? Very nice photos. On page 58 in the section on the far left you
mentioned planting them with ground covers. What ground covers do you
recommend? I do not have a lot of shade where I live but I am planting
lots of trees and hope that I will some day. Right now, the east side of
my house has the most shade. I may have to plant a few trilliums. I
recognized the "Dwarf Wake-Robin" from the wooded areas I used to live
in in Georgia!
 Jesse