Black sapote

Seems to me--awhile ago--I was nattering about black sapotes [a
relative of the persimmon] and how my tree had a bunch of fruit this
year. And someone said they loved persimmons and would like to try a
black sapote. And I said I would send them one when... then I forgot.

Well, it's when. Or, at least, the onset of the "when" season. I have a
couple of green ones on my desk that I'll be happy to mail. Remember,
like persimmons, they have to ripen to mush before they are edible.

Black sapotes are also called "chocolate pudding fruit" owing to the
color of the ripe [mushy] flesh. I suggest eating it with a squirt of
lime juice or in a milk shake.

The botanical is Diospyros digyna. The native persimmon is D.
virginiana.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W