To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] River otters

In a message dated 08/04/2006 6:37:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:
does this pond have fish? I thought that was their main staple of food.
No fish, Donna.  There used to be carp and a few sunnies, but about
20 years ago now, we had a very cold winter after a dry fall.  The pond
is always shallow- only about four feet at most, but that year it was
very shallow and froze solid to the bottom.  The fish didn't survive, and
since our sons had grown up we didn't restock it.  Lots of frogs, though,
and usually muskrats, though fewer of those in the last few dry years.
It's really a very small pond anyway.
Auralie