Re: OT/Red stuff

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT/Red stuff
  • From: "Pam Evans" gardenqueen@gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:04:55 -0500

Well Andrea, God bless her, has sent me the SBD book.  I've decided to
postpone my annual checkup for a month or two to get started on this and see
if I can shave off a little weight.  Dr. Marsh would be so pleased.....
But no more flour tortillas?  In the land of Tex-Mex?  Oh dear.

> Zem, It's obviously our Southern background.  I grew up with
> congealed salads - they were the special party dishes for most
> events.  A favorite was orange Jello with grated carrots and crushed
> pineapple - "Sunshine salad."  But tomato aspic was not totally
> Southern.  When we moved to New York and I achieved the social
> prominence of membership in the Garden Club of Peekskill (I've long
> since moved on from there, but they thought pretty highly of them-
> selves), tomato aspic was on the menu of all of their fancy luncheons.
> I haven't eaten Jello since my children were small, but still make
> tomato aspic on occasion - my DH loves it.
> Auralie
> In a message dated 07/28/2006 8:25:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> zsanders@midsouth.rr.com writes:
> >>I love congealed salads -- and tomato aspic, a real standby in my
> family.
> >>But -- cherry jello tastes like cough syrup, IMHO.  I like all the rest
> of
> >>the sugar free ones.  I mix orange with shredded carrots, and I like
> that.
> >>I don't know if you could have tomato aspic, but it's great made with
> >>spicy V-8 juice.  I also like it with cottage cheese and sliced green
> >>olives. Okay, I'm sure everybody is gagging by now...

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A