From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 11:42 AM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: [CHAT] The weekend past

I had myself a 3 day weekend, we both took off on Friday just because. I
figured I had better get busy on my fair entries since I have to turn them
in on the 16th. I made pomegranate jelly, jalapeno jelly, salsa, and
apricot/date chutney. I tried re-cooking an apricot/orange marmalade that
didn't jell the first time, but it didn't jell this time either - I am
pretty sure I made a mistake in measuring the apricots, since the recipe
called for chopped and what I had was more like squished. I took another
look at a cherry-raspberry jam that also didn't jell and decided I would
enter it like it is, even if it is more spoonable than spreadable.   I was
going to make pickled carrots but when I opened the bag the carrots were
like horrible little slime bombs. They should not have been bad after only a
couple days in the fridge!  I bought peaches and will make the
peach-lavender jam next weekend - cutting it close but oh well - and maybe
tonight on the way home I can buy green beans for dilled beans and more
carrots. Those kind of pickles are very fast to make.  It kinda frosts me to
buy all this produce, usually I grow my own, but that's the way it goes this
year, and after all it's my choice to enter or not.
Husband rented a sod cutter and we removed a good section of the lawn out
front. It was infested with a sandbur which looks annoyingly just like grass
until it makes these awful spiky painful seeds. Husband tried "weed and
feed" on it a couple years ago, in a small section, and killed every single
growing thing in that section. Tells you what our lawn is like, eh? So we
decided we'd go for a little overkill and just remove all of it at one swoop
instead of trying to hand-weed it out. Also allows me to expand my cottage
garden area. It didn't take too long and we bought some bark mulch to cover
up my new garden space until fall when I can plant. We'll re-sod the rest of
it in the fall too.
I decided that all my coreopsis and almost all the gaillardia has to go. Too
much effort involved in deadheading it. And a bunch of the undistinguished
daylilies are going to go too. I'm not entirely sure what I'll put in the
new section but I'm aiming for stuff I don't have to work on all season. I'm
leaning towards hacking out a bit of my lemon grass and starting a new clump
since it looks so nice in the summer and doesn't seed itself everywhere.
Takes a while to get big though. I ordered quite a few bulbs this season
already and it looks like I'll end up putting them in the new section. And
more thought needed for the rest of it, it's in full sun, which I don't have
a lot of in the rest of the cottage garden.

Cyndi