Re: orchid/weather/yard

A clumping paper birch. They are real water hogs, but did well until they were "pruned" by the power company. They topped one before I came home & lopped off the ends of branches. Seemed that gave the borers a toehold. They are a short lived tree at best, but I expected another 5 or 6 years. As much as I love the white bark, I won't plant any more. I do get seedlings. They live 5 or 6 years, then die. I always let a few grow, but will never get any to this size again.
From: "Cathy Carpenter"
Reference birches - what kind are they? Most birches are trees of the
northern forests and cannot stand heat stress. Stressed birches are
sitting ducks for borers. Once borers get a foothold, the tree is a
goner. Which reminds me, their cousin, the emerald ash borer is on
the move down from Michigan and has been sighted in IL. Only a matter
of time before it makes it to my neck of the woods. I no longer
recommend ashes to anyone as landscape trees.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b