From: Theresa W. <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: GardenChat <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:03:37 PM
Subject: [CHAT] frogs!

About a week ago I was on the back porch and checking out my potted
plants when I realized a pair of eyes were staring back at me!  In the
catch tray attached to a hanging pot was a little flog, hanging over the
edge checking me out.  Since the pot was hanging, we were about
eye-to-eye.  And yes, I did startle!  So, I couldn't figure out how the
frog got in there, much less how it was surviving.  So I took the pot
down and put is on the ground so that the poor thing could hop out if it
wanted and go find some food.  Which, the frog had disappeared by a
couple hours later.  So, I hung the pot back up and didn't see the frog
anymore- until yesterday.  The frog was back in the catch tray AND in
the pot hanging next to it, there was another little frog.  I thought,
how cool, I guess they are happy there, so just let them be.  I have one
other hanging pot out back, but it doesn't get as much water, so there
was none in the catch tray.  So, I filled up the watering can and went
to fill the catch tray in hopes of attracking another frog there.  Well,
as I was filling up the tray, yet ANOTHER little frog popped his head
up!  So, I stopped filling the tray, since it was already occupied!  I
have no clue how the frogs get in or out of the pots- I'd love to see
this in action.  I realize they have little suction cup feet, but still-
climbing up or down the plastic hangers can't be all that easy.  What do
you think they eat??

Happy to have some frogs in residence-