Re: frogs

How cool Theresa.  I just love frogs.
It really isn't very surprising to have frogs in flower pots, especially if
one gardens pretty much organically.    There are a number  of native frogs to
California. Pesticides use and such has diminished  the numbers of frogs
greatly.  It's a misconception by many that frogs have  to actually live in water
at all times....although there are a few that are  pretty much aquatic, many
only use water as a source for breeding and such, but  prefer moist areas.  The
smaller the frog, the less amount of water needed  to breed and survive.
People have a tendency to see more amphibians  in their landscapes if they have
lush foliage cover, moist  conditions...especially if there is a drought
elsewhere the frogs will go to  wherever they can find moisture, coverage and food.
 Most frogs/toads eat  insects and are a definite benefit to any garden.  I
bet in the evening or  after a rain, you can hear the different calls of the
There are a lot of websites to help you ID the frog according to pics  and
sounds they make.
Do you have a pond??  That definitely will attract the larger frogs  and
toads.  Here the Gulf Coast Toad is everywhere, and will lay eggs in  puddles on
the street after a rain.  When we moved in (not much landscaping  at all) I saw
a number of tiny cricket or chirping frogs.  They made a cute  peeping noise
in the evenings.  We are fortunate not to have attracted any  bullfrogs
though....which are the largest, and will eat just about anything it  can fit in
it's mouth...including other frogs, birds, etc.  Definitely not  a good
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 8/10/2006 11:02:17 PM Central Standard Time,