From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 6:59 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: frogs

Yeh, I was watering my back porch gardens Wednesday night, and something
large and brown jumped up from under the foilage and landed on the rock.
I thought it was a big brown toad or something. It was almost dark so I
couldn't see very well. On closer inspection, I saw that it had
ears...and fur. It was a baby cotten tail rabbit. It was old enough to
eat on its own and I saw no other bunnies in the area. That is where my
wild bird feeder is so my guess is that it was feeding there, but in the
heat of the day (107) it took cover under my potatoe vines to stay cool.
I put it in a safe place with some alfalfa pellets and water and let it
be. It was so cute though. And I have frog that lives in my garden pond.
It's a tiny (tub) built into the ground with a little fountain. I went
to pull weeds from around the pond, and he was just floating on top,
looking at me. I love frogs.

TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:
  How cool Theresa. I just love frogs.
It really isn't very surprising to have frogs in flower pots, especially
if one gardens pretty much organically. There are a number of native
frogs to California. Pesticides use and such has diminished the numbers
of frogs greatly. It's a misconception by many that frogs have to
actually live in water at all times....although there are a few that are
pretty much aquatic, many only use water as a source for breeding and
such, but prefer moist areas. The smaller the frog, the less amount of
water needed to breed and survive.
People have a tendency to see more amphibians in their landscapes if
they have lush foliage cover, moist conditions...especially if there is
a drought elsewhere the frogs will go to wherever they can find
moisture, coverage and food.
Most frogs/toads eat insects and are a definite benefit to any garden. I
bet in the evening or after a rain, you can hear the different calls of
the frogs.
There are a lot of websites to help you ID the frog according to pics
and sounds they make.

Do you have a pond?? That definitely will attract the larger frogs and
toads. Here the Gulf Coast Toad is everywhere, and will lay eggs in
puddles on the street after a rain. When we moved in (not much
landscaping at all) I saw a number of tiny cricket or chirping frogs.
They made a cute peeping noise in the evenings. We are fortunate not to
have attracted any bullfrogs though....which are the largest, and will
eat just about anything it can fit in it's mouth...including other
frogs, birds, etc. Definitely not a good introduction.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/10/2006 11:02:17 PM Central Standard Time,