From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 9:59 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: frogs

Yeh, I was watering my back porch gardens Wednesday night, and something
large and brown jumped up from under the foilage and landed on the rock.
I thought it was a big brown toad or something. It was almost dark so I
couldn't see very well. On closer inspection, I saw that it had ears...and
fur. It was a baby cotten tail rabbit. It was old enough to eat on its own
and I saw no other bunnies in the area. That is where my wild bird feeder is
so my guess is that it was feeding there, but in the heat of the day (107)
it took cover under my potatoe vines to stay cool.
I put it in a safe place with some alfalfa pellets and water and let it be.
It was so cute though. And I have frog that lives in my garden pond.
It's a tiny (tub) built into the ground with a little fountain. I went to
pull weeds from around the pond, and he was just floating on top, looking at
me. I love frogs.

TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:
  How cool Theresa. I just love frogs.
It really isn't very surprising to have frogs in flower pots, especially if
one gardens pretty much organically. There are a number of native frogs to
California. Pesticides use and such has diminished the numbers of frogs
greatly. It's a misconception by many that frogs have to actually live in
water at all times....although there are a few that are pretty much aquatic,
many only use water as a source for breeding and such, but prefer moist
areas. The smaller the frog, the less amount of water needed to breed and
People have a tendency to see more amphibians in their landscapes if they
have lush foliage cover, moist conditions...especially if there is a drought
elsewhere the frogs will go to wherever they can find moisture, coverage and
Most frogs/toads eat insects and are a definite benefit to any garden. I bet
in the evening or after a rain, you can hear the different calls of the
There are a lot of websites to help you ID the frog according to pics and
sounds they make.

Do you have a pond?? That definitely will attract the larger frogs and
toads. Here the Gulf Coast Toad is everywhere, and will lay eggs in puddles
on the street after a rain. When we moved in (not much landscaping at all) I
saw a number of tiny cricket or chirping frogs. They made a cute peeping
noise in the evenings. We are fortunate not to have attracted any bullfrogs
though....which are the largest, and will eat just about anything it can fit
in it's mouth...including other frogs, birds, etc. Definitely not a good

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/10/2006 11:02:17 PM Central Standard Time,