Re: frogs

LOL, that's true.  I have one treefrog per bromeliad.  They get  very upset
if another comes into their brom. Even the toads are  seen hiding behind a rock
or flower pot alone.   I think they  don't socialize until it's breeding
time.  I have a chorus every night  during warm weather......I always worry that
my neighbors will call the police,  as it gets louder every year, but so far
everyone enjoys it, including Ms. Hates  Nature behind me.  Go figure.    Wasn't
so bad when it was  just the Gulf Coast Toads.....they make a constant
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  noise....although loud.  Then the  Green Tree
frogs moved in....they have the coolest of all the sounds, to me it  sounds like
a jazz band from New Orleans.  Great beat and tempo.   LOL  Especially when
more than one are together. We actually dance to  it on occasion when they first
start in spring.  Then the Eastern Narrow  Mouth Toad moved in.....well,
that's when I really worried.....they sound  literally like a sheep.  It's really
funny to hear them all.  The  chirping frogs have a high pitch peeping noise,
they are the least loud of  all.   I do have a couple Southern Leopard frogs,
but don't hear them  often....or they get drowned out by all the others.  The
latter is the only  one that is aquatic....all the rest migrate from all over,
so tons of  them.....they breed and move on.
When we put in our first water feature, I had a frog spitter.   A  few toad
males came along and would call.  One night I looked out and had  to
laugh.....all the other males had found a mate except this one, and he was  bound and
determined he had found the best looking mama frog of all....and he  was
defending his right to her with all he had.  The funny part was when he  tried for
hours to get a grip on this spitting frog.  I would have loved to  know what he
was thinking, why he didn't think it strange that she was rock  hard....I
think he was blinded by love and too young to know any  different.  He was gone
the next morning, so I hope his first lesson at  love wasn't too upsetting.  LOL
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 8/11/2006 11:03:12 AM Central Standard Time,