Re: Re: frogs

Well- I did a bit of research and apparently I likely have Pacific Treefrogs living in my pots. Here is a nifty link that has sound clips of them singing.

http://www.californiaherps.com/frogs/pages/p.regilla.sounds.html

Theresa

TeichFlora@aol.com wrote:
How cool Theresa. I just love frogs.
It really isn't very surprising to have frogs in flower pots, especially if one gardens pretty much organically. There are a number of native frogs to California. Pesticides use and such has diminished the numbers of frogs greatly. It's a misconception by many that frogs have to actually live in water at all times....although there are a few that are pretty much aquatic, many only use water as a source for breeding and such, but prefer moist areas. The smaller the frog, the less amount of water needed to breed and survive. People have a tendency to see more amphibians in their landscapes if they have lush foliage cover, moist conditions...especially if there is a drought elsewhere the frogs will go to wherever they can find moisture, coverage and food. Most frogs/toads eat insects and are a definite benefit to any garden. I bet in the evening or after a rain, you can hear the different calls of the frogs.
There are a lot of websites to help you ID the frog according to pics and sounds they make.
Do you have a pond?? That definitely will attract the larger frogs and toads. Here the Gulf Coast Toad is everywhere, and will lay eggs in puddles on the street after a rain. When we moved in (not much landscaping at all) I saw a number of tiny cricket or chirping frogs. They made a cute peeping noise in the evenings. We are fortunate not to have attracted any bullfrogs though....which are the largest, and will eat just about anything it can fit in it's mouth...including other frogs, birds, etc. Definitely not a good introduction.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast