Re: Re: frogs

Noreen, you should write stories. That was great! LOL!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 5:45 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: frogs

LOL, that's true. I have one treefrog per bromeliad. They get very upset
if another comes into their brom. Even the toads are seen hiding behind a rock
or flower pot alone. I think they don't socialize until it's breeding
time. I have a chorus every night during warm weather......I always worry that
my neighbors will call the police, as it gets louder every year, but so far
everyone enjoys it, including Ms. Hates Nature behind me. Go figure. Wasn't
so bad when it was just the Gulf Coast Toads.....they make a constant
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise....although loud. Then the Green Tree
frogs moved in....they have the coolest of all the sounds, to me it sounds like
a jazz band from New Orleans. Great beat and tempo. LOL Especially when
more than one are together. We actually dance to it on occasion when they first
start in spring. Then the Eastern Narrow Mouth Toad moved in.....well,
that's when I really worried.....they sound literally like a sheep. It's really
funny to hear them all. The chirping frogs have a high pitch peeping noise,
they are the least loud of all. I do have a couple Southern Leopard frogs,
but don't hear them often....or they get drowned out by all the others. The
latter is the only one that is aquatic....all the rest migrate from all over,
so tons of them.....they breed and move on.

When we put in our first water feature, I had a frog spitter. A few toad
males came along and would call. One night I looked out and had to
laugh.....all the other males had found a mate except this one, and he was bound and
determined he had found the best looking mama frog of all....and he was
defending his right to her with all he had. The funny part was when he tried for
hours to get a grip on this spitting frog. I would have loved to know what he
was thinking, why he didn't think it strange that she was rock hard....I
think he was blinded by love and too young to know any different. He was gone
the next morning, so I hope his first lesson at love wasn't too upsetting. LOL

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/11/2006 11:03:12 AM Central Standard Time,