Re: frogs

Bonnie, from what I've experienced and read, it is only the males that  call.
 They not only call the female, but apparently also make the calls to  warn
other males in the area.  I've not experienced any male frogs being  deterred
by the calls though, so I think it's more the first.
Toad males often argue over females.  Trying to push the other off, so  they
can have their turn, so to speak.  Boy do they have some choice  words for
each other.   Was a bit horrified at first, kind of  like toadly gang rape, but
I've come to get used to it now, it appears  in the toad world it is common
place....and probably flattering  to the female.   It's usually the young smaller
males that do  this.  I have yet to see the frogs mate, although I see them
making their  calls around the ponds.  Then I see the eggs, and tadpoles, so I
know they  MUST mate somewhere.  LOL   ( I have pics, if anyone wants to
see.....just have to find them.)
Andrea, thanks, but I think anyone that lives around animals has stories to
tell about their experiences.  One of the reasons I enjoy this group  so much
is the common love of animal and plant life......and the sharing of
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 8/13/2006 11:02:22 AM Central Standard Time,