Re: back to gardening....

Glad you're getting some moisture Chris. We had a little shower the other day, very nice. Had a little respite from the heat. 12 days over 100F so far this year. Cooler than our usual August weather so far, but gets to 90+ most days. Low in the 60s at night. Nearly perfect IMO. Cool enough to get something done early, then hot enough to have an excuse to take a nap. Tomatoes are doing well, now that we're home to water regularly. I've noticed the magnolias around town have a few blossoms again now. Very pretty against the dark green foliage. Grapes are ripening right on schedule
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Petersen" <chris@widom-assoc.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:47 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] back to gardening....

It's raining- or at least it was! I don't think we've had any rain for a
month, so the plants are very stressed. I've been dragging hoses around to
try to keep things alive, but the heat and our winds dry everything out
awfully fast! I don't know how you stand it, Pam, watching everything get
burnt to a crisp! I hope we have at least one more 15 minute downpour today!
The plants much prefer nature's watering to mine!

I've noticed many more butterflies this year as well. I've been allowing a
stand of wild milkweed to grow on the edge of one of my beds by the beach.
I keep having to pull it out when it ends up in the bed, but it pulls out
really easily. You don't get the whole root, but it gets weaker as you
continually pull. I'm thinking that I should remove the seed pods as the
stand is quite large and I'm sure there are still enough seeds nearby to
germinate wherever.

Yesterday, I spent a long time digging up a small area of green lilyturf
(Liriope). I want to use the area for a few more daylilies. We have a sale
this weekend and I need to cull some clumps so that I can try some different
varieties. It is difficult deciding what I can live without. Lately, I am
interested in tall, spidery varieties, but I love them all! I made some
crosses, but I have nowhere to plant the seed! I'm thinking of making a
raised bed somewhere where the sprinkler hits and there is some sunlight.
I'll have to look "creatively" to find a spot! I really do not want to add
more beds. I'd rather renovate old ones, but much of the space I have
available is in too much shade.

My tomatoes, which are growing in pots, are not making much fruit. Even the
cherry tomatoes aren't producing. I used pots last year with good success,
so I don't know what the problem is this year.

My monkshood gets some kind of blight at this time of year. It doesn't bloom
much either. I'm thinking of relocating it- but where?

It's raining again!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)