Re: Horse talk was: back to gardening....

Cyndi, I'm not a horse person, so can't give you a personal
commentary, but two of my sons are big into horses.  The one
who lives in upstate New York has a lot of acerage, and adopts
retired racehorses that would otherwise become cat food.  He
and his wife and step-daughters rehabilitate these horses - they
are usualy beautiful animals, but not trained for the average
rider.  Some are quite neurotic.  They work with them until they
are ready to be good family horses and then try to place them.
Only, my son becomes so attached to them, that it's hard for
him to let them go.  The last time I checked they had 16.  It's
a shame you are so far away - he could probably find a good
horse for you at a good price.

In a message dated 08/18/2006 8:30:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil writes:
> The trick is to figure out why they're for sale.

Cyndi, is the price of hay the reason?   My brother who lives on a mountain
side acreage in Morgan Hill, Calif talks of the expense of hay there.
     Sounds like your growing season has been rough.   The heat & lack of
moisture has made gardening a real task here this season however we have rcd
yesterday and today and the temps are lower.

Well hay is not cheap and certainly there's no grazing here, but that's not
really what I meant. There's selling a nice horse because you can't afford it,
or you've no time...and then there's selling a horse because he dumps you off
regularly, has bad feet, etc. and what you SAY is that you've got no time or
can't afford it. We looked at a horse that someone where we work was selling.
Great horse, they said. We don't have time, they said. Our daughter rides him,
they said. And maybe so, but no one else can get near him and if you do manage
to catch the thing and saddle him up, you gotta lash him to a fence to get on.
After all THAT, he's fine. We passed.
Now that I think about it, it's sort of like buying a used car...