From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Chris Petersen
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 9:46 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Daylilies

I got up this morning determined to get some daylilies planted, but I'm
feeling sick. A couple of my friends brought me two much lusted after
daylilies that I had not been able to purchase at a reasonable price. Then,
one of my favorite growers had an August sale!

On Saturday we had our club sale, but I only got "a few" things as I don't
have enough room for what I've already purchased! We spent three days before
the sale preparing the digging, washing, dividing and bagging the daylilies.
I was exhausted!  We sold out 20 minutes before the end of the sale!  This
has never happened while I have been at the club.  We have plenty of $3-$4
dollar bags of 2 or more fans, so the public can try a lot of nice cultivars
for a great price.

Cathy, what daylilies did you get? I read about that sale on another robin.
The St. Louis club had a total of 3,000 bags!

I still have a few late daylilies blooming. The garden looks quieter. I
never have put anything around the hosta, so some have been chewed up a bit
by the slugs and snails.

I'm hoping that I feel better as tomorrow I'm going to a gardening symposium
put on by our local Cornell Cooperative Extension. This is the program:

Fall Planting of Woody Ornamentals for LI Gardeners Richard Weir,
Horticulture Solutions, Oyster Bay, NY

The Fall Garden Stephanie Cohen, Collegeville, PA.

Garden Color Review Jim Nau, Ball Seed Company, West

SHRUBAGANZA Stephanie Cohen, Collegeville, PA. Chicago, IL.

Visit The Gardens at Landcraft Environments,Inc., Mattituck Dennis Schrader
and Bill Smith have created an outstanding garden packed with hardy and
tender perennials. Japanese fiber bananas and queen palms hug the 1850s
farmhouse while 60 percent of the 2= acre, zone 7 garden is devoted to
tropical houseplants. The garden has been transformed from a potato field
into a showplace of exotic plants. Nearly 300 specimens are trialed in the
garden every year.

It's always a fun day.  I have to drive over an hour to get there.  It's
another half hour at least for the garden visit, but it's a fantastic

I hope I'm back to getting the chat e-mails.  With some of my groups I only
receive part of the e-mails mailed to the group. I can't figure out why that
would be since the mail all comes from the same address!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)