Re: Ummm...

Dad's been very determined to get his strength back, doing physical therapy 2x/week plus working at home every day. It shows. He's still got a bad balance problem, but he's back to being able to compensate for it pretty well. Amazing man, being 92 and with his other health problems. I'm just so delighted to be able to stay home some days. It's been a long couple of months and I miss my DH, pets, house, garden. We didn't even celebrate our 35th anniversary, since I was so tired.

Great news on the dogs! I know how hard it is to get them to that state. Many, many hours. And it's crazy-making in a multiple pet home.

Answering the questions isn't as grand as it seems. My friend and I both used to work for the Extension Service, so we've known each other for years. He also has a couple of other folks that help out. I love picking the brains of everyone here. I get a lot of odd questions through my website, and on CompuServe. When I was 20, I figured I could learn it all. NOT! Never if I lived to be 300, even if the brain cells stayed intact, which they aren't. :-(

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 9:42 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Ummm...

Daryl, that is great news about your dad! I'm sure this time period hasn't
been a picnic for either of you. It's also pretty nice that a radio show
friend comes to you for answers to garden questions. And with the talent on
this list, if you got stuck for an answer, someone here would have the
knowledge and/or expertise to give a hand.

And I loved your description of keeping the kitten from beating up the dogs!
LOL!!!

I have been taking the dogs for their constitutional off lead for a little
while now, usually when there aren't too many people outside to distract
them. Yesterday I had Izzie and Mary out for their time outdoors when a
neighbor from the street behind came walking through the yard. I wasn't
sure how they would react. They are very friendly and have no compunction
about jumping up on strangers to lick them to death, but not a lot of folks
want 60-75 lbs of drooling bulldog jumping up on them. I was quite happy
that they just barked and when I told them to stop (before getting to the
neighbor) they actually minded. Then in the afternoon when I had Mr. Face
and Izzie outside, my next door neighbor was walking his yard before mowing.
He came over to see how we were and I was really concerned that 75 lb Mr.
Face would clean him out as he came at a run to see the "new" person in the
yard, but I shouted "down" to him before he got to George and he, too,
actually minded! (He did slime George's pant leg, though, and rubbed all
around his legs like a giant cat as he was so pleased to meet a new--new to
him--person.)