RE: Allergies [Re: Ummm...]

I do remember times feeling just like you do under an allergy attack (with
the added asthma.)  I'd still recommend seeing an allergist about allergy
shots.  I've had to go through the regimen twice, but it has really made a
major difference, in addition to the meds.  Allegra did absolutely nothing
for me, nor did any of the other "pill form" meds.  Straight benadryl worked
somewhat, but there was always three days or so where I felt really drowsy.
I'd also ask about other nasal spray meds.  Of course everybody's body is
different.  Hopefully your allergist can help you find what you need.  I too
have a sensitivity to fragrances (especially artificial ones) but once my
allergies are under control, I can tolerate them more.  I used to have to
get DH to go down the laundry soap aisle for me and get a product with no
fragrance, dyes, etc.  If I tried it, I couldn't breathe well by the time I
found what I needed.  I also couldn't go into a Hallmark store because they
always had the heavily scented candles in the front of the store.  Since I
like to breathe, I just didn't go there.  Now I just have to avoid cats.  I
can't go into my older daughter's home because she has two cats and can't
visit my next door neighbor inside her home for the same reason.  (O.K.,
that affects not only my breathing but makes my eyes swell shut, too.)  I
can't get an allergist to give me shots for animal dander...something about
that being a bit dangerous and better just to avoid the animals.

Both my mom and dad smoked like trains, and when I got married, DH and his
parents smoked.  His mother didn't quit until she lost a lung.  It is my
personal opinion that bypass smoke does just as much if not more damage than
actually smoking.  I decided not to smoke because of a comedy routine that
told how the native Americans rolled up dry leaves in a piece of paper,
stuck it in their mouth and  set it on fire.  After that, it just seemed
like an absurd thing to do.  And dad and mom both regretted ever having
started the habit and suffered terribly trying to quit multiple times.  DH
also had a difficult time quitting for good.

I hope you are feeling better today!

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)