From: Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey@mallorn.com>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:03:47 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now creative borders was- Identification help?

> Anyone got a suggestion on how we could use decking boards to create a
> interesting border (i.e. Alan's lawnmower barier)? I have a ton of them
> in the back and was thinking of adding them to my garage sale. Thinking
> some creative cuts- placement- something - Vera could use them as a
> border?
> Any thoughts? Anyone ever do anything like this?

When I built my deck I ended up with a bunch of extra boards too.  I
ended up building hanging planters to hang off of the rails -- it's
great because the materials and style match up with the deck quite well.

You could also build free-standing planters.

I lined the planter with heavy duty plastic sheeting, then drilled a hole
in the bottom of the planter and threaded two PVC pipe fittings together
through the plastic.  Once they were threaded tight I cut the plastic out
from the middle of the pipe fitting, and voila!  A drainage hole that
doesn't violate the integrity of the sheeting.  :)