Waiting for Ernesto

It's sunny, heat index of 95, and absolutely still outdoors.

I just went out to pick some bamboo palm seeds for a woman in Massachusetts, and--in spite of the temperature--lingered long enough to check out a few things.

Ms Fatma's papaya has set it's second crop and may produce a ripe one or two fruits for her to take to Boston in November. She's traveling north to witness the birth of her first grandchild [a girl].

The orange jasmines are now in their third bloom cycle this year--really amazing masses of small white flowers that one can smell 100 feet away.

The Barbados cherry [aka acerola] continues to bloom and produce. In fact, it now has more blossoms than at any time earlier this year. And that is good. I try to eat five or six cherries a day; they have 30+ times as much vitamin C ounce for ounce as oranges, and they're tasty besides. If I eat 10 or more, I begin to have delusions about being Linus Pauling.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10