Re: New plants...

My Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy' hasn't bloomed yet. I bought it late in 2004
as a small plant..... but I did buy it for the foliage not the flowers.

There is a new crepe myrtle just being marketed in the near future that
is *supposed* to be hardy thru zone 5. A friend down the road has one
for testing.... more on that next spring if it makes it. I rather doubt
the one you seen Bonnie is it tho.... limited supply- testing material
only from what I understand.

Donna

> I've been waiting until the nursery where my daughter bought my gift
> certificate for my birthday had a sale, so today I came home with
> Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy,' Sedum 'Pink Chablis' and Veronica austriaca
> 'Trehane.'  Does anyone have any experience/advice with any of these?
>
> I want to make sure I place these just right.  The Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy'
> has striking foliage and the pictures I see on the web for its flowers are
> quite different from "Blue Mist" that I already have.  The 1 gallon pot that
> I have of it is not showing any sign of bloom.  How old does one need to be
> to bloom?  My other Caryopteris has been in bloom for two or three weeks now
> and still growing strong.

The 'Snow Fairy' should use the same cultural conditions as your 'Blue
Mist'; it won't even burn in full sun.  Personally, I like it in dryish,
well-drained partial shade so that the variegation shows more.

The Veronica is probably best in full sun with partial shade.

> when he finally conceded that there were a
> number of places in the Miami Valley that were strictly zone 5 and that the
> crape myrtle I was looking at was among those that were really zone 6.  Why
> on earth couldn't they just tell me its zone up front?  I think that
> approach will lose them more business than they will get.

To be honest, even zone 6 is stretching it for a crepe myrtle.  6b with
protection, maybe.  :)

Chris