Re: OT Cat Advice Needed

Considering how Diesel reacted when he was on the screened porch last night and a neighbor came by, I think he'd go nuts in a cage. He was absolutely frantic to get back into the house.

I'll suggest it to my sister-in-law, though. She has 3 cats, and they'd enjoy something like that- especially if there was a window open into the house.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:06 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] OT Cat Advice Needed

My father's cat allergies bothered him a lot later in life, and he and
my stepmother had a cat cage built for their two cats. It was maybe 8x8,
and probably 8' tall, built out of 2x4s and hardware cloth under a tree
near their patio. There was a little patch of grass on the ground and
the rest was dirt and gravel. About 5' up there was a wide shelf running
across 3 sides; there was a rough log that the cats could scamper up to
the shelf and also a sort of stairway if they weren't feeling that
energetic. They had an enclosed basket with a cushion if they wanted to
sleep inside. They had a litter box and food/water bowls on the ground
too, and I seem to recall some kind of elaborate cat toy mobile too (my
dad was a great one for inventing rube goldberg contraptions).
Anyway it worked out pretty well, maybe it's a way to satisfy an outdoor
cat without the danger of the wide world. Of course you'd have to get it
built...dad could whip up something like that in a day, but not all of
us are carpenters.