From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:33 AM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Rain... again

It's been raining for much of the last 3 days. And NOAA says we've got a
lot of the same through next Monday PM. Not easy to tour the plantation
between cloudbursts, but I did notice quite a few baby starfruit this
morning--and I didn't even know the tree had bloomed.
Pleasant surprise. Unpleasant realization: we're almost out of mangos,
one more picking, two at most.

The orange jasmines--including the one I nearly killed with the
wheelbarrow full of softener salt--are in their third or fourth bloom
cycle. And when the flush of small, multi-petaled white flowers is
assaulted by driving rain, it looks like it snowed in the front patio.
But snow never smelled this good.

The Barbados cherry is in its third bloom cycle, too. It's a mass of
pink and white flowers. The first two cycles produced heavy crops of
fruit, but I don't know if this one will--the rain may keep the wasps,
bumblebees, and other pollinators at home. Usually when it blooms, the
wasps and bumbles get possessive and let you know you're not welcome in
the neighborhood until they've had their fill. I've had bumblebees,
which show no interest in me when they're working on avocado flowers,
dive-bomb me when I go near the Barbados cherry when it's in bloom.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10