Re: Devil's was OT Cat Advice

Aralia spinosa is one of my favorites.  I have a large one.  Yes,
the stems are terribly thorny.  The leaf pedicels are prickly, too.
The compound, doubly pinnate leaves are sometimes as much
as 2 1/2 feet across, and the flower umbels can be as large.
When mine is in bloom you can hear the bees from 10 feet
away.  It does tend to seed around a bit, and I have found
that the stems begin to die back after ten years or so, but
there are always more stalks to replace the old ones.  I
guess I like it because it's odd and prickly like me.
I think it should do well for you, Zem.  New York seems to
be the northern edge of its hardiness, but I have seen it
growing in thickets in Virginia, and the books say it is a
native of the central Atlantic states.
Auralie

In a message dated 08/03/2007 6:09:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,