Re: drought and Magnolia

Some of the white Magnolias here bloom again in July. Not as dramatic as on the leafless trees in early spring, but very pretty. Judy B z 6 Idaho 68F night & high 80s to low 90s daytime. Had a spit of rain yesterday. Dry. Restricted to watering Mon & Fri nights. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Zemuly Sanders" <zemuly@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] drought and Magnolia

My Magnolia soulangiana bloomed in the fall either last year or the year before when we had a long, hot dry summer. My brother, who is a horticulturist, told me it was caused by stress. The tree recovered and has been fine ever since.. I'll just have to see what happens this year. Mine is on the back of a bed I have been watering so I figure it will be all right. Good luck. This weather is a mess!
zem
zone 7
West TN