Pencil Cactus Question of the week

OK, not to toot my own horn but I feel somewhat like my studies have sunk in since I suggested a virus........;-)
See my professor's answer below.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mckenney, Cynthia"
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 10:19 PM
Subject: RE: Pencil Cactus Question of the week

Wow. I have had a pencil cactus and it never did that. So, this is totally a guess as I can't tell enough without seeing a bit more or touching it etc. What I did notice was it looks like lighter green speckles on the stems but not the leaves. If those are not lenticels then I think there is a virus. Viruses are able to cause many types of contortions. Infact, the varigation on a snake plant is virus induced as are some of the color patterns in tulips. That is a guess, not an answer.

Dr. Mck

Cynthia McKenney, Ed.D

Associate Professor of Horticulture
Dept. of Plant and Soil Science