Re: Good chat

Oh, Cyndi, I'm so sorry about your BIL. Death never seems to pick a good time to show up, and I don't think we are ever ready to say goodbye to those we love.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 12:01 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Good chat

How nice to come in and find so many messages, that's one good thing
about not reading the list on weekends I have something to look forward
to on Monday. We're all busy it sounds like.
I picked tomatoes on Saturday and made sauce, took me quite a while
longer than usual since I got a late start on it and my husband had
other chores and couldn't help me squish them. I'm fond of my Victorio
but my arm was getting just a little tired by the end; think I had about
70 pounds. Turned into 18 jars of sauce plus one dehydrator load, that's
not too bad; I might have let the sauce get a little thicker than usual
but it's okay. Most but not all of the ripe tomatoes are picked now; the
paste tomato plants are pretty much done but we still have lots of green
ones on the slicers. I also made peach-raspberry jam on Sunday, it's one
of the last two things I need for my fair entries.  I had to buy all the
ingredients but it's a good jam, I've done pretty well with it at the
fair before. I also had to buy jalapenos for the jalapeno jelly - how
humiliating - but I think I will  have just enough of my own jalapenos
ready to enter in the produce competition. I have till the 24th for the
veggies to be ready so my fingers are crossed.
My veggie garden that looked so good at the beginning of July is covered
in weeds again. What with all my time spent preserving on the weekend
and my weekday evenings with the horses, I'm not keeping up on the
weeds. Still, it only needs a half day's work, so I may get to it. The
front yard...well we won't talk about it.
Sadly my brother-in-law passed away on Friday. I got there just too
late, spent the day comforting my sister and my niece and nephew, but
this was not unexpected so we were mostly sad rather than in shock.
Hoist a glass for a curmudgeonly old cowboy if you care to, he left a
couple great kids and some good friends, we will miss him.