Re: How important is a phone number?

perhaps not in the position to do it right NOW.  Later, I bet it will come.

Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:
Of course you do not get many phone calls on the business line... you just started your business. Give it some time. Believe me it will happen. I made the mistake of saving money in bypassing the phone company and using personal line for business. Now we get calls and faxes in the middle of the night, at lunch and dinner. I will have to give up my personal number to the business now... one I have had for 25 years. That is one I can advise "Do Not Do".

To be honest (and I doubt Gene is surprised), I'm thinking that the
nursery will go away in a year or two.  Sales have been tepid at best
and I just don't have the space. Acreage is my biggest problem, forcing me to load up my plants into a rented trailer and haul them to other sites for winter storage under a polyhouse. Last winter they went up to Chicago until a village inspector came by and said that it violated city ordinances (you are
only allowed glass and wood construction greenhouses, and only 250
sq. ft).  So, there I was, at the end of that cold snap, tearing
down the polyhouse to avoid a hefty fine.  I easily lost a several
hundred plants from that.

This winter I'm going to have similar problems and still don't have a site for storage. Not to mention the effort in moving the plants there
and then back again, then hauling them up to the flat roof for summer
storage.  Good exercise, but...  :)

Someday I would still like to run a nursery, but I think I'm not in a position to do it right.