Re: How important is a phone number?

Well, Chris
When I went into business I gave myself 5 years to make it work. Average time for a small business to get past the point where stats say they will fail.... first 5 years. Anyway.... got to the 5 year mark taking any funds from the business and reinvesting back into making it work... no profits. At 5 years was only breaking even... turning money over. Gave it one more year and it worked. Turned a profit. You may have too high expectations....( I. of course, may have had them too low.) You mention running a nursery... do you mean to say own and operate??? Lots of opportunities to run a nursery around... probably in your own area. However, own or run, as you may have noticed, nursery business is 90% physical labor and 10% management, and 80% luck.. right place at right time. If you own you get to say after hours 7 days a week as a bonus.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

To be honest (and I doubt Gene is surprised), I'm thinking that the
nursery will go away in a year or two.  Sales have been tepid at best
and I just don't have the space.

Acreage is my biggest problem, forcing me to load up my plants into a
rented trailer and haul them to other sites for winter storage under
a polyhouse.  Last winter they went up to Chicago until a village
inspector came by and said that it violated city ordinances (you are
only allowed glass and wood construction greenhouses, and only 250
sq. ft).  So, there I was, at the end of that cold snap, tearing
down the polyhouse to avoid a hefty fine.  I easily lost a several
hundred plants from that.

This winter I'm going to have similar problems and still don't have a
site for storage.  Not to mention the effort in moving the plants there
and then back again, then hauling them up to the flat roof for summer
storage.  Good exercise, but...  :)

Someday I would still like to run a nursery, but I think I'm not in a
position to do it right.

Chris